Before we go on with the fixes of ‘You need a WIA driver to use this device error on Windows10/11’, you must have some idea about the WIA scanner error. The WIA error is a scanner-related issue. It stands for Windows Image Acquisition, an exclusive driver and programming interface from Microsoft. A scanner driver that is compatible with a few software.
Many users have reported an issue appearing whenever they are trying to use the scanner with their system. Due to this issue, you can take printouts but cannot scan them. So, here we are with the causes and solutions.
Cause Behind ‘You need a WIA Driver to Use this Device’ Error on Windows 11/10
It is imperative to know the reasons behind this, “You need a WIA driver to use this device error on Windows11/10”. The causes are listed down:
Corrupted WIA Driver
The main function of the WIA driver is to help in communicating the graphics application with devices, like printers and scanners. In case the drivers are missing or not working from the system, then the graphics apps won’t be able to link with the scanners. Thus, you have to print any document without scanning it. You can solve this issue by reinstalling the WIA driver.
Incompatible WIA Driver
One of the main reasons why you see the error is because these drivers do not support the new version of Windows. The only way to fix this issue is by installing the latest updates related to WIA drivers. Don’t forget to check whether they are compatible with the Windows version.
It might be possible that the hardware is damaged. Thus, the error appears. You can check the USB port and also the scanner cable. To detect the issue, there are possible hardware troubleshooters that you can use. You can go to the hardware experts if there is any problem.
Methods to Solve ‘You need a WIA Driver to Use this Device’ Error on Windows 11/10
Now, we come to the fixes that you can use to solve the problem. Above we have mentioned the common causes that can lead to this error. Thus, you just need to follow the instructions:
Start and Enable the WIA Service
As mentioned previously that WIA enables the graphic software to communicate with imaging devices. If the service is not working properly, you can face a complete scanner crash. In such a situation, you need to start the WIA service to make better communication. The steps are listed to fix the issue:
- First, click on the Start menu and in the search bar type “services”.
- After that, you have to double click on the Service app.
- Now, scroll down a bit and again double click on Window Image Acquisition (WIA).
- Then, you have to choose the General option and from the startup click the suitable option. After selecting all the options, press the Apply, followed by the OK option.
- From the Menu bar, go to the log-on option and select the Local System account.
- Now, you will see a box that says Allow Service Interact With the Device. You just have to check the box.
- Finally, click on apply and press the OK option, and restart your computer.
Reinstall the WIA Driver
This error is particularly based on Windows OS. You might observe that it creates issues with the operating system and makes the scanner non-workable. To fix the issue, we have instructed the steps:
- First, you have to go to the Start menu and then open the Device Manager.
- From the Menu bar, select the View option, followed by selecting the Show Hidden Devices option.
- Now, click on the Imaging Device and expand it. You have to right-click on the Scanner Device, and then select the Uninstall option.
- Finally, you need to restart your computer, and you will observe that the WIA driver has been reinstalled automatically.
Update the Scanner Drivers
You might see that while installing the latest updates of Windows they don’t usually update other drivers. There are quite a few ways to do so:
Drivers Update from the Website
- Go to the manufacturer’s website of the scanner and check the latest drivers for your scanner.
- Now, you just have to download and update the driver properly.
- After that installation, restart your computer.
Update through Device Manager
Users can also use the Device Manager to update the scanner driver. The instructions are given below to help you out:
- First, you have to go to the Start menu and click on the Device Manager option.
- Now, click on the Image Device and expand it. After that, right-click on all the devices and finally update the drivers.
- Then, you have to click on the “Search for the driver automatically” and then press the search for the updated driver in the Window Updates option.
Update through Windows Update Utility
You can follow the given Windows Update Utility to update the driver. They are mentioned below to help you out:
- Go to the Start menu and open the Settings option.
- After that you need to select the Windows Update followed by selecting the Check For All Updates option.
- Now, you have to install all the updates regarding scanner drivers.
- Finally, restart your computer and check if the problem has been solved or not.
For your information, Windows already has a built-in feature for software and hardware-related issues. It helps in detecting issues and also repairs them automatically. It might be possible that you are viewing the scanner error due to hardware damage.
The steps are given below to help you out:
- First, you have to go to the Start menu and right-click on it to open the settings.
- The settings dialog box will appear, and you have to scroll down and click on the Other Troubleshooting option. Then, again go to the hardware troubleshooting and press the Run the Troubleshooter option.
- After waiting for a few minutes, you can then Restart your system. Finally, check if the problem has been solved or not.
Check the Scanner’s Working
As already mentioned that the WIA error will allow the document to scan but won’t scan it. After applying the above fixes, still, you are unable to fix the problem, then you can try this one:
- Go to the Start menu, and then type the Control Panel in the search bar.
- After that, click on the Hardware and Sound option, and now click on the Device And Printers option.
- Now, right-click on the scanner and a new scan page will open. If you observe the scan option is enabled, then you can edit its properties. This means that the problem has been fixed.
So, this was all about the error, its causes and also its fixes. The above instructions will help you to solve the error. Follow the instructions as instructed, and you will be able to fix the issue. This is quite a common issue, so there is nothing to be worried about.