5 Best Snipping Tool Alternatives that You Must Try
Microsoft’s Snipping Tool has been around since the release of Windows Vista. This built-in application allows users to capture the screen in different modes. Besides, you can select a snipping time between 3-10 seconds in this tool. However, the Snipping Tool hasn’t improved much over the past few years.
Sometimes, the Snipping Tool fails to capture the whole screen. Windows 10/11 users have experienced several glitches in this app. Thus, they end up searching for the best Snipping tool alternatives. There are many screen-capturing apps available for Windows users. Check the tool’s screen-capturing options and compatibility before using it.
Additionally, the screenshot tool must have a quick share option. It should be safe and easy to use on mobile devices. Like Snipping Tool, there are screen-capturing apps that can be accessed using key combos. Get one of those tools and take a screenshot of the files with ease.
Here are the best Snipping Tool alternatives that are worth using:
Greenshot is an open-source and free light screenshot-snipping tool. You might not find too many features in this app, but it still beats Windows’s “Snipping Tool”. This application allows users to edit the captured image by cropping it. However, you can’t do that in the Snipping Tool.
Moreover, you can add annotations to the images captured with Greenshot. It lets you upload the screenshots directly to multiple image-sharing sites. This tool is available for Windows 7,8,10 devices. Greenshot is best for users who don’t need fancy features on their screen-capturing tool.
Here is what you can do with Greenshot:
- Capture the screen in two different screen-capturing modes – Window and Fullscreen
- Take a screenshot of the complete web pages from Internet Explorer
- Highlight the captured images from this snipping tool
- Export the screenshot to Microsoft Office programs
- Upload the Greenshot images to photo editing apps like Picasa or Flickr
- Copy the image to the clipboard or print the screenshots directly from the app
ScreenRec is possibly the best Snipping tool alternative out there. It provides an easy screen-capturing option for Windows users. Besides, you can quickly take a screenshot of the web page or document via this app. All you have to do is remember the Alt and S keyboard shortcut.
ScreenRec is a high-resolution tool that allows you to take HD screenshots with a single click. Additionally, you can annotate them and share them on social media platforms.
This screen-capturing tool automatically saves the screenshots to the cloud apps. ScreenRec is compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux platforms.
ScreenRec offers the following benefits to its users:
- You can record computer audio using this software
- No time limit is set for snipping the web pages’ screen
- There won’t be any watermark on the screenshots
- It is a lightweight and lag-free screen recorder
- The screen-sharing link can be easily copied to your clipboard
- Check the past recordings from ScreenRec’s “Recording History”
Snipping Tool ++
Snipping Tool++ resembles the built-in Windows utility, but it works differently. It can capture any boxed region and provides basic editing options. This snipping tool has an easy-to-use interface.
Moreover, you can configure the Print Screen key to open the Snipping Tool ++. However, this screen-capturing software doesn’t have any annotation options.
You must install the Java Runtime Environment to use Snipping Tool++. However, if you are looking for a simple tool for Windows devices, Snipping Tool is worth trying. It is compatible with Windows 7,8, and 10 computers and laptops. It is an excellent choice for uploading files directly to various websites.
Here are the reasons to use the Snipping Tool++ app:
- Access its “Utilities” menu to upload multiple images simultaneously
- It takes up only a small amount of memory on the hard disk
- The application saves the snippets or screenshots in PNG format
- All the tools in this program are simple and let you add freehand designs
- Add shapes or lines on a specific part of the captured image
Lightshot is a popular screen-capturing tool available for Windows users. It lets you quickly take a picture of the desktop. Additionally, you can screenshot a selected region and share it on social media channels. Lightshot works like ScreenRec, but there are other additional features in this app.
This snipping tool generates a shareable link and uploads the image to Lightshot’s servers. Besides, this program has an image search feature which helps you to find the screenshots easily.
Do you know what the best part about Lightshot is? You can save the image in different formats, including “jpg” and “pdf”. However, you can’t do that in the Windows built-in Snipping tool.
Lightshot offer the following benefits to its users:
- Along with Windows, this snipping tool is compatible with Mac devices
- Share photos, images and parts of a webpage via the internet
- View the previous screenshots by creating a Lightshot account
- Copy the snippet or screenshot and paste it directly to your clipboard
- Edit the screenshot online using popular editing apps like Pixlr Editor
- Highlight the important parts using Classic Pen, Brush and Blur tools
Snipping Tool is free to download, and so the Screenpresso app is. This is the only similarity these two screen-capturing tools have. It is available on Windows 10 platforms and can record audio/video like ScreenRec. Moreover, you can save the screenshots in different formats like the Lightshot app.
Screenpresso is even compatible with the latest iPhones and iPads. Thus, open the App Store and write “Screenpressor” in the search bar. Select “Screenpressor”, tap on “Get”, and open the app when the installation is complete.
Choose the screen that you want to capture and edit the image, if required. Unfortunately, Screenpresso is not available for Android.
Here are the exclusive features of the Screenpresso software:
- Click and drag anywhere on the screen to select a specific region of the webpage.
- Record your screen in a video and convert it into an MP4 file for easy sharing.
- It has a powerful built-in vector image editor to highlight screenshots.
- All screenshots are automatically saved in “Workspace”, which you can access later.
- Capture an image containing text using its built-in OCR feature.
Other Snipping Tool Alternatives in 2023
You can use DuckCapture, another great alternative to Snipping Tool. Its screenshot abilities, editing and sharing options make it the best snippet. Besides, DuckCapture is easy to use and free for Windows users. You can save and share the screenshots via email using this application.
Jing is another free-to-download screen-capturing tool which is worth giving a shot at. This app is used to record audio and videos. However, now it only captures full Window screens. Jing’s interface is also simple and easy to navigate.
So, what are you waiting for? Open the Microsoft Store and install the best snipping tool now.