For the iMac users, the idea of common glitches with the hardware or macOS is a distinct imagination. However, no software is perfect and free of errors. Some problems do shoot up occasionally with iMac devices, causing frustrations and diminishes the productivity of the iMac device. These problems also may result in some other issues of the iMac such as data loss, battery drainage, failing logic board, missing backups, and so many more. So have a look at some top 5 iMac Problems here.
If you are an iMac user and unaware of the glitches specific to iMac, then it might be difficult for you to solve them when you meet such a problem. Hence, you need to have a basic idea about some specific problems and the ways to solve them. Here in this guide, we are going to discuss some of the most common problems of iMac as well as the tricks to fix them. So, let’s start.
Common iMac Problems and Easy Hacks to Resolve Them
Stick to the points provided below to have an idea about the common problems of the iMac device:
Problem 1: Power Related Settings
PRAM (Parameter Random Access Memory), NVRAM (Non-volatile Random Access Memory), and SMC (System Management Controller) are crucial components of the iMac device. These components are responsible to store or process the startup functions of the iMac. Nowadays, new iMac devices don’t come with PRAM, but they come with NVRAM that performs similar functions.
The NVRAM component is responsible for the problems with time zone, startup disk selection, screen resolution, and speaker volume. SMC component controls the power-related settings. Hence, by resetting the SMC, you can solve the power-related issues. To perform this, you should follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, shut down the iMac device.
- Then, press the power button by holding the Option, Control, and Shift keys simultaneously.
- After a few seconds, release them to boot the iMac device.
Problem 2: Time Machine Failed to Backup
Time Machine is a default backup app of the iMac device. It helps the users to recover the deleted files of the system. But sometimes it happens that the entire backup of the Time Machine gets deleted. Then, it becomes hard to restore them. In some situations, the Time Machine prevents the backup process by itself.
If you also face the same problem, then you should try the solutions stated below:
- First, you have to make sure that your iMac device is up-to-date. Then, restart the device.
- You should check the AirPort base station and update it if required. Then, restart the base station.
- Tap on the Time Machine menu by holding the Option key from the keyboard. Then, tap on the ‘Verify Backups’ option.
- To restore the deleted files, you can also run the Time Machine Data Recovery Tool on your iMac device.
Problem 3: Kernel Panics
When your iMac device restarts for more than one time and if the screen goes blank with an error message ‘You need to Restart it’, then it indicates the Kernel Panic problem. It is similar to the BSOD error. It occurs without any proper warning as well as without letting you save your current work. To fix this problem, you should follow the steps given below:
- Perform a safe boot of the system to run the clean-up process. Then, deactivate the apps or software that’s causing this problem.
- Update all the firmware and the software of the system.
- Run the Repair disk using the Disk Utility tool.
- Upgrade the RAM and the memory space of the iMac device.
- Check the peripherals of the system.
If nothing fixes the problem, then the only option is to reinstall the macOS or delete the drive. But, before that, you have to back up the essential files.
Problem 4: Performances Issues
You can reinstall the macOS to its previous version or remove all the files of the system and install the latest version of macOS as per your requirement. If you are planning to sell the iMac device or replace the old device, then you have to assure that all the essential data of your device is not accessible to the new user. Gone are the days when users get back to the previous version of macOS due to compatibility problems and lose the data of the system.
By following the steps below, you can reinstall iMac and solve the performance issues of your iMac device.
- Restart the iMac device by holding the R and Command keys simultaneously from the keyboard.
- After the Apple logo appears, you can release the keys.
- Choose the ‘Disk Utility’ option by going to the Utility window and tap on the ‘Continue’ button.
- Choose the ‘Startup volume’ button and tap on the ‘Unmount’ option.
- When the unmounting process completes, you have to tap on the ‘Erase’ button.
- Close the Disk Utility window.
- Choose the ‘Reinstall the iMac’ option and tap on the ‘Continue’ button.
Now, reinstall the iMac by following the on-screen guidance.
Problem 5: Logic Board Problems
Logic board problem is one of the common issues faced by iMac users. When this issue occurs, the users become unable to use the device. To fix the logic board problems you can run the Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Tests. To run the Apple Hardware Test or Apple Diagnostics, you should follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, you have to disconnect all the connected devices from your device except the keyboard, display, and mouse.
- Then, restart the Mac by holding the D key from the keyboard.
- Now, Apple Diagnostics will begin to run. After a few seconds, it will show a complete list of all the issues.
Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware test don’t check the issues related to the macOS, non-apple devices, and external hardware components.
Summing it Up
In this post, we have provided some common problems along with the solutions that users often face with their iMac devices. We hope, after going through the above guide, you will be aware of these top 5 iMac Problems and also will be able to fix them easily.
After implementing the above fixes, if you still have any doubt or if you face any kinds of trouble, then you should seek help from a professional. In addition, you can share your queries and valuable feedback through the comment box given at the end of this blog.