Given the choices of different gadgets, you might find it confusing to choose the right device according to your requirements. The toughest call might be a toggle between a laptop and a tablet. Tablets have replaced laptops in terms of moderate workload, compatibility, portability, and much more.
However, you should be sincere about the tablets vs laptops pros and cons before you made the final decision. This guide will show you the advantages and disadvantages of both these devices.
Is it better to have a laptop or tablet? Let’s find out.
What are the Advantages of Using Tablets over Laptops?
Before we move on to the comprehensive tablets and laptops pros and cons, we should check out what tablets are capable of. Picturing a tablet reminds us of a large-size smartphone with a few more features in it so that it can be a competitor of a laptop.
Tablets are way more portable and lightweight than laptops. But is a tablet can do all things that a laptop can do? With advanced technologies implemented in tablets, they can now acquire strong computation features.
Usual browsing, sending emails, organising documents, watching movies, etc are completely possible with tablets. Let’s check out both the pros and cons of having a tablet.
Pros of Using a Tablet
So far, we have come up with the following perks of owning a tablet:
- Tablets are extremely handy and portable
- They are less expensive options
- And, they can handle light to moderate workloads such as reading, watching movies, internet surfing, handling emails, and more
- Tablets are available in lightweight and thin designs
- They are also ideal for attending video calls due to the great camera quality
- Tablets offer you enough screen space for scrolling, viewing, and reading purposes
- Some tablets are operational in closed systems and that means that your data remains safe and secure
- Users can benefit from better navigation and user interface
Cons of a Tablet
What are the disadvantages of a tablet? Well, we have noticed the following points in most tablets and these might prevent you from investing in a tablet:
- A tablet has limited connectivity options or physical ports
- You might face complications if you want to connect too many peripheral devices to a single tablet
- Tablets mostly use SSDs which means that they might not offer the storage capacity that you are looking for
- Moreover, tablets come with only touch-screen keyboards and you might have to opt for an external keyboard if you are not comfortable with the integrated typing option
- Not all tablets offer efficient computation technologies that can replace a laptop
What are the Advantages of Laptops over Tablets?
Laptops are a portable form of computers. If you are looking for higher processing power then a laptop is a hundred times better than a tablet.
Additionally, laptops are getting better in the game of portability and design as well. Get as powerful hardware as a desktop can offer you with a laptop purchase.
Pros of a Laptop
What can a laptop do that a tablet can’t? If you are thinking the same then you should go through the pros of having a laptop:
- Laptops are built to deliver extreme performance and the credit goes to their processors
- If you are into multitasking then a laptop is the ideal option for you
- Additionally, you will get sufficient storage space
- Laptops are far better than tablets in terms of typing
- You can connect multiple peripherals to your laptop as there are plenty of ports
- Laptops offer more screen space compared to tablets
- In addition, laptops come with proper cooling technology so that you can avoid overheating
- Reliable operating systems such as macOS, Windows, Linux, and more
Cons of Laptops
Laptops, also known as notebook computers, have a few flaws for users. You should go through them for the overall tablets vs laptops pros and cons concept. Here are some noted disadvantages of laptops:
- Powerful laptops are way more expensive than tablets
- Users should carry a laptop in a dedicated bag whereas tablets can easily be carried in bare hands
- The camera standards are not impressive at all for most laptops
- Furthermore, laptops’ software is more prone to vulnerabilities such as malware, virus, and other threats
- Obviously, laptops are heavier than tablets because of their batteries and powerful components
- Repairing and maintaining a laptop properly might cost you a fortune if anything bad happens
- Laptop screens are also prone to damage
- Users might have to upgrade laptop hardware more frequently to cope with the advancement or necessities
Tablets vs Laptops Pros and Cons: Comparing them Shoulder to Shoulder
Are you still facing doubts over ‘tablet vs laptop which is better’? Then, this section will point out all the major features of laptops and tablets. Additionally, it will display which one will be more beneficial for you. Keep in mind that the result might vary from person to person depending on their preferences. Let’s get started:
The processor’s power defines the performance of any computing device. In case you are searching for optimum performance then a laptop is the clear winner.
You can execute resource-consuming tasks such as video editing, gaming, and other professional jobs on a laptop more efficiently.
Though the latest iPad Pro and other leading tablets have improved a lot in processing we still think that a laptop is a safer choice. You can stick to a tablet if you prefer light tasks like watching movies, messaging, scrolling social media platforms, replying to an email, and so on.
Display & Design
Are you after a larger display? Then, you can opt for a laptop rather than a tablet. Otherwise, a tablet is a justified choice if you find the tablet’s screen size satisfactory.
Similarly, design plays an important role in choosing between a tablet and a laptop. Tablets are more sleek and attractive than laptops. You can go for tablets if you prioritise thin and compact design.
Tablets beat laptops in the category of portability. Laptops are quite compact and portable but they are way behind tablets. Users can hang out with tablets wherever they want.
However, laptop screens are more likely to get damaged easily. Hence, there are few restrictions on the laptop’s portability.
Generally, you will find powerful hardware components in laptops. However, battery life is a controversial feature for laptops. They might not necessarily offer higher efficient battery life.
On a contrary note, leading tablets offer day-long battery lives and they can be a better option than laptops. It’s wiser to check out product descriptions and reviews to learn whether your intended laptop or tablet can last the anticipated hours you expect.
The tablets vs laptops pros and cons will remain incomplete if we don’t discuss the storage available for both devices. The more storage you can have on your device the better performance you will receive. On average, tablets offer internal storage of up to 256GB.
Whereas you can easily find laptops offering a storage space of up to 1TB. So, laptops are more convenient for users who crave storage. However, you can manage the storage issues on your tablet with the help of a microSD card. Additionally, you can upgrade your laptop’s storage options.
You can connect external SSDs and hard drives to your laptop if it’s a cheap model. We think that a laptop wins the battle of storage while competing against a tablet.
Not to mention, people like to capture memorable moments as pictures. That’s why they rely on good cameras and they are now everywhere. Tablets, for sure, offer higher quality cameras for both clicking pictures and video calling someone.
On the other hand, most laptop cameras produce filthy images. They might not offer high-resolution outputs. That’s why you must turn to a tablet if you require decent cameras.
Both tablets and tablets operate on powerful software. If you count tablets then there are 2 primary software or operating systems available and they are Android and iPadOS. However, laptops operate on Linux, Windows, and macOS mostly.
Tablets offer a lenient experience with their user interface. When it comes to productivity, we think that a laptop is capable of doing more compared to a tablet. Laptops offer more powerful software that is also compatible with professional attributes.
It’s impossible to live without the internet and other accessories such as earphones, keyboards, and more. A tablet can offer a USB C port, a Micro USB port (Android), and a lightning connector (iPad) at most. However, connectivity choices with laptops are more than that.
Reviewing the tablets vs laptops pros and cons, connectivity is a great advantage for notebook computers. You can get multiple USB ports, Ethernet ports, HDMI connectors, and audio jacks with laptops. Therefore, laptops are more reliable gadgets than tablets if you require more ports.
What are the Similarities between Tablest and Laptops?
Tablets are comparatively more cost-effective than laptops. However, there are some similarities between laptops and tablets. Both offer HD videos to stream or watch. You can navigate to different social media platforms on laptops and tablets.
Additionally, you can play HD games using both devices. Hence, you should buy laptops if you need to go through coding, video editing, and other professional tasks. Purchase tablets if you want cheaper yet more productive results.