Virtual Private Networks or VPN services are quite an affordable way to keep your connections secure. Additionally, you can keep your digital identity safe from threats and other flaws. Hamachi VPN is one of the trending VPN services around the world. But, recently, a bug appeared in the service. Hamachi VPN users have reported that they are facing the ‘Hamachi cannot get adapter config’ error.
This issue takes place when users try connecting to the service. When you can’t connect to the desired VPN service, it implies that you can’t securely connect to the internet. So, you need to get rid of the ‘Hamachi cannot get adapter config’ error to get things back to normal.
We have come up with reasons behind the issue and the solutions that can help you.
What are the Possible Causes behind the ‘Hamachi Cannot Get Adapter Config’ Issue?
Users have reported diverse instances while experiencing the same error. One of these reasons can lead to the conflict of ‘Hamachi cannot get adapter config’.
- Antivirus software is active on your device, and then it can restrict the VPN from working. This software might be preventing the VPN services from functioning.
- You might be trying to connect the VPN services without admin privilege. If that’s true, then Hamachi VPN might not work right now.
- Drivers might be missing or corrupt from your device. Otherwise, there are chances that the drivers are currently outdated.
These are the most common reasons behind the ‘Hamachi cannot get adapter config’ error. Most Windows PC users have reported this error, and let’s find out how you can address the error.
How to Solve the ‘Hamachi Cannot Get Adapter Config’ Error?
We have collected a few tried and tested solutions to eliminate the ‘Hamachi cannot get adapter config’ issue. But, before you go for them, we think that you start with a quick reboot of your computer.
Victims of the same error have reported that they have found success after restarting their devices. So, you can definitely try the hack.
To give your computer a restart, you have to simply hold the Power button for a while or until you hear a beep. Your computer should be completely shut down. Let it rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
Then, you can turn on the computer and try connecting to the Hamachi VPN application. If you’re still experiencing the same instance, then you have no other choice rather than going for the following solutions:
Run the Application with Admin Privilege
While launching the Hamachi application, right-click on its icon. Choose the ‘Run as administrator’ option when the Context menu appears. This might fix your issue, and if this doesn’t, then you need to right-click the Hamachi icon again. Select the Properties option and land on the Compatibility tab. After that, you have to opt for the ‘Run this program as an administrator’ checkbox. Don’t forget to finish the method by clicking on Apply followed by OK.
Deactivate your Antivirus Programs
If you haven’t found a fix, the next step is to disable the antivirus. Start with the in-built firewall. Here’s what you need to implement:
- Press the Windows and R keys simultaneously to launch a Run dialog box.
- Type ‘firewall.cpl’ and hit Enter. Go to the Advanced Settings option from the left pane and choose Windows Defender Firewall Properties.
- Choose the Domain Profile option and choose the Customize option under the Protected Network Connections option.
- You need to uncheck the Hamachi application. Make sure that you apply the changes you have made so far.
If you have enabled third-party antivirus programs, disable them and check if this works.
Re-Enable Hamachi Connection
It indicates that you have to disable the Hamachi connection at first. Then, you need to enable it again. Try this hack for a successful connection to the Hamachi VPN servers.
- Explore a Run dialog box by hitting Windows and R keys simultaneously. Type ‘ncpa.cpl’ in the dialog box and hit the Enter button.
- Locate the Hamachi entry on the screen and right-click on it. Select the Disable option from the Context menu. Now, wait for a while and again right-click Hamachi. This time, you need to go for the Enable option.
You can try launching Hamachi and check if the ‘Hamachi cannot get adapter config’ issue persists.
Give Hamachi Drivers an Update
As per experts, outdated Hamachi drivers can cause problems. The only way to recover from this issue is to address the driver’s status. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open a Run dialog box by pressing the Windows+R buttons. Enter ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the Run box and click OK.
- This will take you to the Device Manager. Now, go to the Network Adapters option and click it.
- After that, you have to right-click the following option: LogMeIn Hamachi Virtual Ethernet Adapter Entry. Choose the Update Drivers option.
- Go through the on-screen instructions to get a successful driver update.
When you are done with the driver update, you can check whether the ‘Hamachi cannot get adapter config’ error is still there.
Make Hamachi a Legacy Hardware
Users have claimed that this step can work miracles for you. In case you haven’t found any solution, then you can try this:
- Press the Windows and R keys to open a Run dialog box. Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the Open box and hit the Enter key.
- Next, go to the Network Adapters section and expand it by clicking on it. Right-click the option called ‘LogMeIn Hamachi Virtual Ethernet Adapter Entry’. After that, you have to click Uninstall Device.
- Choose the Action tab from the top of the screen. You have to click the ‘Add legacy hardware’ option from the menu.
- A window will open, and you need to proceed with the Next option. Choose the ‘Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)’ option. Hit the Next option again.
- Then, select ‘Show all devices’ and click Next. Afterwards, you can choose the ‘Have Disk…’ option to browse files. Navigate to the Hamachi installation folder and choose the ‘(.inf) driver file’ from that folder.
Now, you can check if you have resolved the ‘Hamachi cannot get adapter config’ error or not.
Restart the Hamachi Tunneling Engine Service
If you are still struggling with the Hamachi VPN connection, you can try this hack out. Follow the steps below:
- Open a Run dialog box by pressing the Windows and R keys simultaneously. Enter ‘services.msc’ and hit the Enter button, and this will redirect you to the Services window.
- Locate the ‘LogMeIN Hamachi Tunneling Engine’ and right-click on it. Select the ‘Restart’ option from the menu.
- After that, you have to right-click the same option and choose Properties. Fetch the General tab and go to the Startup type. Ensure to set it as Automatic.
Now, you can double-check whether it has resolved the ‘Hamachi cannot get adapter config’ issue.
Finally, Deactivate Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol
If nothing works, you can go to the Control Panel and head towards the Network & Internet section. Click the Network & Sharing Center option, choose the Change Adapter Settings option from the left pane, and double-click on the Hamachi entry.
Explore Properties and go to the Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol. This option should be unchecked, and now, you need to click OK. This should eliminate the ‘Hamachi cannot get adapter config’ error.