Discord is a super-convenient chatting tool for any user. If you want to use this open-source application, you need to download it from its official website. However, users have reported that they have encountered issues with the download and installation of Discord. .DLL files are likely to be missing from the Discord installation package, and it can cause issues in the entire installation.
Additionally, it can lead to corrupt Discord installation, and you might face different issues. Therefore, it’s important to resolve the Discord DLL error if you want it to proceed without any trouble. A DLL file consists of significant instructions for that specific application, and they can call upon other functions.
Here’s how you can solve the Discord DLL error and make a fresh installation of the Discord application.
Reinstall the Application
The Discord DLL error can simply be generated from the faulty installation of a particular entry point inside the KERNEL32.dll. If this is the case, you have to reinstall the Discord application. However, the entire reinstallation process contains the following steps:
Kill Discord Processes
Start with ending Discord processes under Task Manager. Press the keyboard shortcut of the following three keys: Ctrl, Alt, and Delete. Select Task Manager from the appearing menu.
Next, locate every Discord process that is running in the background. Click every Discord process and opt for the End Task or End Process button. Kill every Discord process one by one.
Uninstall the Discord Application
The next step is to uninstall the existing Discord app showing the Discord DLL error. Here’s what you need to follow:
- Press the Windows key and start typing ‘Control Panel’.
- Select the Control Panel option from the results.
- Switch the View by option to Small icons from Category or anything else.
- Then, click the Programs and Features option.
- Locate the Discord app from the programs’ list. Select Discord and click on the Uninstall option.
- Reboot your computer after uninstalling the application.
Get Rid of Discord’s AppData Folders
To ensure that your computer has nothing left related to Discord, you need to remove the Discord AppData folder. Otherwise, the reinstallation won’t be complete, you might face the Discord DLL error again.
Check out the instructions to remove AppData for Discord:
- Open a Run prompt with the keyboard shortcut of Windows+R.
- Fill in the box with %appdata%’ and click the OK button.
- When it explores the AppData folder, head towards the Local and Roaming folders.
- In every folder, check out the Discord folder and delete it.
- Restart your Windows PC
After that, you can visit the official website of Discord and install the application.
Run Discord with Administrator Privileges
Another quick workaround that can eliminate the issue is to add admin privileges to the Discord application. In addition, ensure that you always access the Discord application with the administrator account.
Here’s how you can include admin properties to Discord:
- Locate the executable file of Discord. It’s the same Discord shortcut on your desktop screen.
- Right-click the Discord.exe file. Select Properties when the pop-up menu appears.
- Click the Compatibility tab under the Properties window.
- An option will be there that says, ‘Run this program as an administrator’. Check the box right next to it.
- If this is a Windows 7 or Windows 8 device then there’s an additional option called, ‘Run this program in compatibility mode’. Check the box beside this option.
Save these changes you have made so far. Reboot your computer and attempt launching Discord by right-clicking on its executable file. Ensure that you click the ‘Run as administrator’ option.
Update your Windows Device
If the reinstallation and admin privileges don’t work, you should not keep Windows updates pending anymore. If your Windows operating system is not compatible with the latest Discord components, you can experience the same Discord DLL error.
Check for the Windows Updates in the following way for your Windows 10 PC:
- Press the Windows key from the keyboard.
- It launches the Start menu. Click the gear-shaped icon or Settings of your Windows device.
- Choose the Update & Security section under System Settings.
- Click the Windows Update option from the left pane of the Update & Security window.
- Click the ‘Check for updates’ option, and windows will start searching for the latest updates.
Then, it will install them automatically. Now, you can attempt exploring the Discord app and check if the Discord DLL error comes up.
Update Device Drivers
Since Discord utilises audio and video drivers of your Windows device, they should be compatible with the Discord application. Otherwise, Discord DLL errors might appear whenever you open up the application.
Go through the guidelines to update your device drivers.
- Click the Search icon and look for Device Manager. Type in Device Manager and choose the Device Manager option from the results.
- Now, you have to select the category of audio and video drivers. Right-click on them that you want to update.
- Click the option that says, ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’.
- Choose the Update Driver option. Windows will start automatically looking for the latest drivers.
If Windows fails to do so, then head towards the driver manufacturer’s website and install the latest drivers from those sources. After your computer gets the latest drivers, reboot your Windows device.
Look for Malware in the Device
The presence of malware and virus can trigger the Discord DLL error. Additionally, you might have installed a reputed anti-malware software, but it might not be active. Hence, we recommend running a malware scan from time to time.
This will detect active malware in the computer right now and you can eliminate them. Therefore, run a full scan using the antivirus software and check if it resolves the Discord DLL error.
Hopefully, this guide helps you eliminate the Discord DLL error from your device. If it doesn’t work, then you have to contact Discord’s customer support. Otherwise, seek expert intervention for Discord error.