Casting from PC to Xbox One: A Comprehensive Guide
Owning a Windows 10 or Windows 11 PC, along with an Xbox One console, is an advantage. Especially when you love cross-platform features. Game casting from PC to Xbox One is now practically possible, and you can enjoy your PC games on your TV screen. If you think casting from PC to Xbox One and setting it up would be difficult, then you are probably misguided.
Microsoft released an application for Xbox One that enables Windows PC and Android devices to mirror their screens on Xbox. Through this functionality, the Xbox One acts as a Miracast receiver. You need to download and install the Wireless Display application from Microsoft Store to initiate casting from PC to Xbox One.
Here’s what you need to learn about casting from PC to Xbox One:
Steps to Stream Your Windows PC to Xbox One
You might be in doubt regarding the compatibility between an Xbox One and Windows 10 or Windows 11 device. Well, both are owned by Microsoft. Hence, you need not worry about device compatibility. On the other hand, casting from PC to Xbox One requires a dedicated application from Microsoft.
Follow the steps below to successfully stream your PC content to an Xbox One:
- Explore Microsoft Store on your Xbox One. Navigate to the application that says Wireless Display app and download it to your Xbox One.
- After you’re done installing the application, the app will prompt that it’s ready to connect to the PC.
- Now, you have to head towards your Windows PC. Probably, you have decided what to stream to your Xbox One or TV. With that choice, you have to use the keyboard shortcut of the Windows + K combination. This is the shortcut for casting. Alternatively, you might opt for ‘Connect to a wireless display’ under the Display menu from System Settings.
- After that, it lets you select to stream the content on your PC. You can either duplicate it or set the Xbox One as the second screen. For now, you can choose the duplicate option for casting from PC to Xbox One.
After connecting the PC to the Xbox One, you notice a small mobile taskbar at the top of your PC and the TV screen. This taskbar is the control center for adjusting settings while gaming, watching movies, or anything else. You can switch between modes, and the gaming mode is the best when casting games from PC to Xbox One.
The gaming mode appears to be superior as this reduces the latency as much as possible. And, this is an important factor especially when you use a controller. Additionally, you can adjust the audio output and enhance it for a better experience. Set the audio to your Xbox One instead of your PC. Go through the steps below:
- Tap on the speaker icon from your Windows PC’s taskbar.
- Next, you have to choose the Digital Output option or the Xbox One’s name.
What are the Constraints of the Wireless Display App?
There are a few restrictions on the Wireless Display application. For example, you can’t stream ‘protected content’ to your Xbox One from your PC. If it’s an encrypted video from Hulu or Netflix, you can’t stream it using Xbox One.
But, you can stream content appearing on the Google Chrome browser or something similar. It’s better to download Netflix, Hulu, or similar applications on Xbox One from Microsoft Store.
Alternative Way to Initiate Casting from PC to Xbox One
Xbox One comes with the PlayTo feature for streaming content using Groove Music, Movies, and TV apps. This Xbox comes with PlayTo enabled, and you can connect it to a Windows 10 device. First, you must add your Xbox One to your computer’s list of devices. You can start casting from PC to Xbox One.
How to Add Xbox One to the List of Devices on your Windows?
Users have complained that they can’t see their Xbox One or Xbox 360 on the list of devices on their Windows computers. If you are experiencing the same, here’s what you have to do:
- Navigate to your Windows PC’s Settings.
- Click on the option named Devices.
- After that, you need to select the Connected devices option from the left pane.
- Next, choose the option that says, ‘Add a Device’.
- Now, you can select your Xbox One from the list of devices.
Make sure that you have turned on the Xbox One before connecting the PC to it. Additionally, the Xbox One should share the same Wi-Fi network as your PC.
Casting from PC to Xbox One: Using PlayTo
It’s easy to stream media from your Windows PC to your Xbox One. abide by the following guidelines:
- Open the Movies & TV or Groove Music app on your Windows PC.
- Next, you must select the video or song saved on your computer.
- After that, click the Play button.
- Locate the Cast to Device option from the bottom of your Windows PC.
- Afterwards, you must choose your Xbox console from the list of devices.
- If your Xbox One is active and on the same network, the media will start instantly.
Can you Control an Xbox One Game Using your PC?
You can stream your Xbox One game to your PC instead of casting from PC to Xbox One. However, one thing that might strike your head is whether you can control an Xbox One game through your PC. Well, this shouldn’t be your concern when you have a controller and can use it even when casting a game from PC to Xbox One.
What you have to do is to connect the Xbox One controller to your PC? Yet, you need not use a controller if you are simply streaming media. Use a USB cable to connect the controller to your PC. It should work fine as soon as your Windows 10 device detects the controller.
You can purchase a second controller if you need a permanent solution to control your Xbox games via PC. Pair it to your Windows PC, and you’ll never be out of options for casting from PC to Xbox One and controlling the gameplay.