Hardware or software issues can lead to a dead iPhone that is no longer accessible. All you can see is a black screen, and your iPhone doesn’t respond to your touches or swipes.
The first worry that might strike you is losing all your data saved on your iPhone. You might be thinking about how to backup iPhone with black screen.
Well, you are not the only one who has suffered from such a situation. You might not lose your iPhone data. However, restoring data from a dead iPhone is quite tricky.
Here’s what you need to learn if you want to back up your iOS device when it’s dead.
What can Cause a Black Screen on iPhone or Make it Dead?
Before you jump to the solutions, it’s better to know what can kill your iPhone. A dead iPhone is a rare situation, and these devices can endure much before they quit.
However, a lot of things can happen to your iPhone before your iPhone goes dead.
Here are a few ways that might exploit your iPhone’s functionality and cause the device enters an unresponsive state:
- Intense physical damage, such as dropping your iPhone from a considerable height or smashing it against something powerful.
- Operating system failure.
- Storage is completely exploited.
- Circuitry issues, or the iPhone is unable to charge.
- Internal hardware failure.
- Malware attack.
How to Backup iPhone with Black Screen?
Your iPhone must have encountered any of the above-mentioned reasons before it started showing a full black screen. And, you might be unable to wake up your device with the Touch ID or Face ID. Worse, the iPhone isn’t charging at all. Recovering the iPhone’s data in this situation is a bit risky.
Additionally, it depends greatly on your previous actions regarding backing up your iPhone. Try to stay calm and attempt the following steps if you want to learn how to backup iPhone with black screen. You should keep your iPhone as it is or shut it down if you don’t want to make the data recovery or backup process riskier.
Otherwise, your iPhone might overwrite the memory or storage if anything goes wrong.
Here’s what you need to follow to backup your iPhone even with a dead or black screen:
Try the VoiceOver Feature
This hack might be a luck-by-chance opportunity to access your iPhone and back it up. VoiceOver is an accessibility feature that helps people with impaired sight. You can use this feature right now if your iPhone’s screen has turned black.
There are chances that the iPhone has lower brightness or something similar to configuration issues. You can fix that with this feature. If your iPhone is still functional and you can’t just see the screen or the screen is too dimmed, then try this. Ask Siri to turn on the VoiceOver feature.
If this works, then the VoiceOver feature will read everything on your screen. Thus, you will be able to figure out whether your iPhone is actually dead or just misconfigured.
You can also connect your iPhone to an external keyboard to navigate the iPhone with the VoiceOver feature.
Use iTunes to Back up or Recover Data from Dead iPhone
iTunes is a powerful tool to keep your iPhone data safe and sound. It has been proven to be really effective in backup and recovery of data on an iPhone. Additionally, you can avoid using any third-party software if you backed up your iPhone before with iTunes.
You must have installed iTunes on your computer, and it doesn’t necessarily have to be a Mac. You can install iTunes on Windows devices, too and try the following steps.
Here’s what you need to do to backup your iPhone with a black screen:
- Launch iTunes on your computer.
- Next, connect the dead iPhone to the computer using a compatible cable.
- Choose the iPhone from the main window of iTunes. If you are using a Mac device, then you can also locate the device through the Finder.
- After that, you need to click the Restore Backup option.
- If you have backed up your iPhone several times using iTunes, then the application will display several backup options. So, choose the most convenient one.
- Next, you must click the Restore option and wait for the process to complete.
If the process becomes successful, then the iPhone should automatically start. Otherwise, your iPhone might be dealing with more serious hardware or software failure. And, iTunes alone can’t fix it. Yet, you can back up some data and restore them with iTunes backup frequently.
Try Recovering Data Using iCloud
Fortunately, iCloud can help you recover your iPhone and iPhone data both. You are lucky if you have subscribed to iCloud and backed up your iPhone to iCloud previously. However, this process requires an iPhone to be at least on the initial screen.
So, this method won’t work for a dead or completely black-screen iPhone. If your iPhone turns on and it’s still problematic, then here’s what you need to go through:
- Navigate to Apps & Data once you can turn on the iPhone.
- Next, opt for the option that says, ‘Restore from iCloud Backup’.
- Enter your Apple ID and other credentials to sign into your iCloud or Apple ID account.
- The next screen should display all the available backups ready for your iPhone. It’s wiser to select the most recent one as it will carry most of the data.
- Therefore, select the backup you wish to recover and let the process complete automatically. Ensure you keep your iPhone connected to a strong and stable internet connection.
- The device might ask for your Apple ID and other details several times.
Set up your iPhone and check if the device is behaving properly.
Use a Third-Party Software
If none of the above methods works for you, then your iPhone might be severely damaged. It’s better to back up the device with stable software before it becomes useless and you lose all your data.
Lots of trusted and useful third-party software are available to back up and restore data from a dead and black-screen iPhone.
Make sure that you pick up a recognised and reviewed software for this purpose. Additionally, the software should be compatible with the iOS, and the iPhone model you have been using.
Go for Professional Data Backup and Recovery
You can seek expert advice if you can’t back up your dead or black iPhone. Data recovery experts are aware of how to backup iPhone with black screen. Hence, don’t hesitate to visit a professional if the issue persists.