8 Ways to Fix Laptop Screen Black Issue
When you are using your laptop, you might witness a laptop screen black error. A black screen is not at all a good sign. The black screen means that parts of your laptop are at fault.
The problem can be with the graphics driver. But, it is hard to point out without any diagnostics. In case you are using a dual-screen setup, then you might come across with clashing driver.
Henceforth you might have to go through trial and error:
Fixes of the Laptop Screen Black Issue
There is a high possibility that the system is not getting enough rest or the hardware is overheated. This can cause malfunctioning. Thus, it would be better if you shut down the system and wait for a while before restarting it.
Below we have given a few fixes that will help you to resolve the laptop screen black error:
Open the Screen
You might be aware that your laptop has a power setting feature where you can set the time and turn off the screen. It might be possible that you have accidentally pressed the Power button or left the system unused.
Thus, making the screen of the laptop turn black. You just need to press any key to turn on the screen again.
Below we have mentioned the steps to change the power settings:
- First, you need to press the Windows+R key. This will let you open the Run dialog box.
- In the given space type “powercfg.cpl”. The Power setting will open on the screen.
- Now, select the Change Plan Setting option. Then you will notice the option Turn Off The Display option; change the option to never for both on battery and plugged in.
- Then, select the Put the Computer to sleep option and change it to Never. Again, go back and select the Choose What The Power Buttons Do.
- Change When I Press The Power Button to Do Nothing option. Finally, save all the changes. This will definitely resolve the issue.
Reset Display Driver
Resetting the Display driver will help you to fix the laptop screen black issue. Restarting the graphics driver can be helpful if the display has frozen because of a heavy load.
First, you need to press the Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B. You might witness blinking or dim light.
Restart Windows Explorer
Users are reporting that while the system is booting up, if the screen goes black, then it is because of the malfunctioning of Windows Explorer.
Thus, a complete back screen will appear in front of you. Restarting will help to fix the issue, and we have mentioned the steps that will help you out:
- First, press the ctr+shift+esc; this will open the Task manager.
- Now, go to the Details tab and then search for explorer.exe.
- After that, select the End Task option to disable the program.
- Then, select the file and hit the run New task option.
- In the given space, type “explorer” and press the Enter button.
This will fix the error, but in most cases, it has been seen that the registry is facing some errors.
The steps are given below:
- Press the Windows+R key and type “regeit”. The Run Dialog box will open.
- Then, navigate
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Window s NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
- After that, search for Shell and double-click on it. Now Edit The Value Data to explorer.exe and hit the Enter option.
- Finally, restart the laptop and see if the issue has disappeared or not.
Optimise the GPU Temperature
An unrecognised display means that it is physically damaged. The corrupted driver of the GPU or monitor menu hinders normal functioning. So, it would be better to update the driver while connecting the external monitor.
The steps are given below:
- By pressing the Windows+R option, open the Run dialog box.
- Now, type “devmgmt.msc” in the given space and open the Device Manager.
- Then, go to the Monitors option and double-click on it. After that, find the Drivers tab and select the Update Driver option.
- In case the problem starts after updating the system, select the Roll Back Driver option.
- Similarly, find the Display Adapter option and update the GPU drivers.
- If you see that it cannot update the driver automatically, then go to the official website and install them.
Rest the Windows or Install the New OS
This method will help you to resolve the laptop screen black error. The steps are mentioned below:
- First, you must press the windows+x and select the Settings option.
- Then, scroll down and find the Recovery option.
- Select the Reset this PC option. You can either keep the files or remove them.
- Reset the laptop by clicking Local Reinstall or Cloud Reinstall. We will recommend you go for a cloud reinstall if you have internet.
Start the PC in Safe Mode
To start your laptop in Safe Mode, we have given the steps to help you out:
- First, you need to close the system by pressing the power button. When you press the button three times, the PC boots up in recovery mode.
- After that, go to the Troubleshoot option and find the Advanced option.
- Then, select the Startup Settings followed by selecting the Restart button.
- Now, press 4 or F4 to boot in safe mode.
There is a high possibility that the system might not boot due to software conflicts. To run a clean boot, follow the steps:
- First, press the windows+R key, and the Run dialog box will appear.
- In the given space type “msconfig”, this will open the System configuration.
- Then, go to the Services tab and select the Hide All Microsoft Services box.
- After that, select the Disable all option.
- Now, go to the Startup tab and select the open Task Manager option.
- Hit the Disable option. You can follow this for all programs and click okay in the System Configuration.
- Now, restart the system. In case the system opens, you can follow a similar process in Task Manager to enable the startup program.
- Restart the system and see if the issue has gone or not.
Run Windows Memory Diagnostics
You can check the health of the Ram before going for proper RAM seating. To test the condition, you can go for Windows Memory Diagnostics.
The steps are given below:
- To open the Run dialog box, you need to press the Windows+R key.
- Select Restart Now And Check For Problems options.
- Then, restart the stem. Finally, check if the issue has gone or not.
These are the steps that will help you to fix the issue. You are using the trial and error method to find the one fixes that will help you out. Furthermore, many users have given feedback that the fixes have proved to be very helpful.